Sunday 17 August 2014

Life in Kuwait: Things I didn't realize before.


The value of my Language:
If you have a passport that is issued by an English speaking country, and you are an English speaking native...that is a big deal. You, my dear, have a commodity that a lot of people want. 
You speak English. People want that. People will pay big bucks for that. If you are a native English Speaker and know another language, you can probably work anywhere in the world. If you are reading this, and English is your mother tongue, you are lucky, 

The value of my nationality:
If you have a passport from a country that speaks English--you can travel anywhere in the world without hassles or the nasty complication of a lengthy visa application. People from other countries are not so lucky. The only countries a lot of "non-western" ( read middle east) people can travel to, without a complicated and lengthy visa process are: Turkey, Syria and Iran.  
Some countries, they will never get to.
A lot of people go to a lot of trouble to get that desired passport, marriage is only one way.  
On the world stage,  I am privileged because I AM CANADIAN. My kid, and nephew are lucky.



The Value of my Education:
I appreciate having an education. Because of my education, I get stuff.
A lot of people working in Kuwait ( most people working in Kuwait) have to work very hard to earn a living. Very hard. 

Some jobs are excruciatingly boring: standing at a pillar in an underground parking lot all day pointing drivers to the exit ( because drivers cant read the EXIT signs, I presume? ) or standing by the escalators all day long, making sure people ride the escalator properly (???) 

Some jobs are excruciatingly painful: working outside in the heat tending to the gardens in the median of the highway. (Today the temperature registered 55 degrees F.) 

Some jobs are just ridiculous: wiping the toilet seat in the bathroom, before I use it.  ( really??) 

We are not treated equally:
If your skin is white, you are treated differently ( read better). You might want to think you aren't, but you are. It's there in the subtleties..the deference, the attentive service, the engaging smiles, the eagerness. There are a lot of whitening creams sold in the stores. 


I have to wonder: If you hold a North American passport, speak English, have white skin and an education... are you golden? 
And if you are lucky enough to be born having those criteria--and aren't grabbing that brass ring..why? 




No comments:

Post a Comment