Friday 29 August 2014

Kuwait: The Friday Market

Today I played tourist and went to the Friday Market. This is an enormous covered market that sells everything from nylons to industrial size fridges. I have been in Kuwait for a few weeks now, and thought it was time I played tourist. 





 These large covered circular areas are the roof tops of the market. A protection of sorts from the glaring sun. It was 45 degrees today--but really need to do something besides hide inside and watch Netflix ( how great is Downton Abbey?? ) 


This is the furniture section. As you can see you can choose from a lovely assortment of sectional sofas. "Dewaniya", is the term that is used for those low lying cushion seating arrangements we might see in a Moroccan restaurant.  This term refers to the custom of men sitting around smoking, drinking coffee and discussing all manner of things, from politics to religion. 


Kuwaiti folk really love the whole concept of bling and bedazzled. A lot of their garments are beaded and glittery. This..living room accessory (??) is an example of that. 



The market is a great place to buy an Abaya. I made a horrifying discovery today. Abaya's are not made of cotton, silk or natural fibers. Abaya's are basically made of--polyester. Think...non-breathable, man-made, flame resistant fabric. Think of that in 45 degree heat. I have no idea how these women are not keeling over from the heat.  


A big seller at the market is clothes/shoes and general flea market, second hand stuff. Acres and acres of this kind of clothing. I have no idea how anybody makes a living selling this stuff. If one's mission was to sift through all the hanging garments on offer at this market--they would be there for days and days and days. 

This is my 'carpet guy'. He is Iranian, and his carpets are "antiques" ( she said sarcastically) from Afghanistan, Iran and Syria. I treated myself to a lovely 70 year old carpet from Afghanistan. The colours are amazing. I put it in my bedroom It started off at a price of 200$ but I got him down to 120$. I am sure I could have paid less--but to me, it was a good deal and I was happy with that price. 

This is the 'fitness equipment' area. Anybody need a bowflex?

I was there for 3 hours, and could have spent another 3 hours there--and still not covered the whole market. I just couldn't take the heat anymore. I was literally dripping wet by the time I left. Have I told you how hot it is here? 




No comments:

Post a Comment