Saturday 13 June 2015

Goodbye Kuwait

Yes I know, I know--it has been a while since I have written. 
There are lots of reasons for that, I guess, but none that seem valid right now. 
Sometimes I truly had nothing to say of any poignancy or interest...other times I was too angry and didn't want to sound bitter and like a harpy, and other times, I just didn't wanna. Other times, I wanted to, but got sidetracked on my way to the computer. 
And now its over. 
I have been here for 10 months, but in reality the journey has been almost 2 years. From the idea of teaching internationally, to applying, to interviewing, to packing, to moving...its been 2 years. It has been an amazing ride. 
I have learned far more about myself, than I have learned from Kuwait. The true Kuwaiti person remains as mysterious to me as they have been before. I have however, met many people from the Middle East...and those people I have found to be passionate, generous, warm and loving. Except when they are gossipy, intolerant, hypocritical and petty. Like everyone, really. 
The students I have had the opportunity to know have made me realize just how unique North American youth are. It's too bad they don't know it. Not unique from an individual point of view, although they could be; but unique because things like critical thinking, individualism, and the concept of unique thought is encouraged and fostered in their education system.  I am not sure if that is something that is possible in the East..and its neither a good nor bad thing--but it would be foolish to not see the difference and the advantages of each. 

I have been made aware more than ever that mindsets are definitely culturally dependent.  Being the head of a school made me question the concept of being able to teach critical thinking in later grades. It made me question the concept of learning and the value of learning over 'just finding the answer'. 

I am proud of our education system in Ontario. And I am very proud to be Canadian. A lot of the world's population wants to be Canadian. I am, for once, in the 'in group'. Ha!

The Middle East is not for the faint hearted. It is extreme in most things, nothing is as it seems, like the abaya covers the form of the woman, much happens that is not seen. I am not sure that any westerner can truly know the true mind of a person from the Middle East...but it was nice to try.


Kuwait gets a really bad rap from a lot of sources. That is too bad; it has a lot to offer if one wants to enjoy it. I absolutely enjoyed it. Except when being here made me insane. Ha! I have learned though, you just can't ask "Why" cause that's a game you wont win. Ever.  (  Cheat Sheet..the only answer is 

" That's just Kuwait") 

I had an amazing time, but now it's time to move on to other adventures, other cultures and other journey's. 

ma'al-salamah....Go with Peace.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment